I could see the fire in Pat’s eyes (not her real name) as she told me that she wanted to help others.
Like a lot of people, she said that she didn’t know the specifics of how to do it and doubted whether she had what it takes.
She was also positive that she didn’t have enough education to do what it takes to make the kind of difference she wanted to make.
I often meet people just like Pat. People who feel that they have a message, yet doubt either themselves or their ability—or both! People like Pat who became a Speaker Leader.
Most often there is some kind of internal message that says something like: “No one cares, no one wants to hear what you have to say”
Every now and then, I meet someone who is sure that they have what it takes, but I know they will die with their message still inside them because they will never step up and invest the time, funds or energy it takes to bring their message to the world…
They will continue to play small, and as a result, the world will suffer a little more than it needs to because they did not have the gonads to step up!
So, you want to help others. You want to make a difference. You want to speak. You want to lead!
Well, come on. Let’s find out if you are serious. I have designed 6 questions to assist you in getting completely clear if you have the fantasy of helping others, or if you actually will do what it takes to get out there and share your message to make a massive difference.
So here are your six questions. The last one is particularly vital and here’s why:
You will always psychologically struggle to ask anyone to pay you more than you’ve been willing to invest in yourself. If you are a cheapskate about your own growth and development, then the folks you will end up working with will also Not value themselves or you and what you can do for them.
Ready? Put your answers in the comment section below the page and be deeply honest with your replies. I promise you clarity will ensue.
1) Do you have an inner knowing of what your message is? (Even if it doesn’t yet make sense to anyone else.)
2) If you are going to help others, do you have any idea of how you are going to actually help them that is not just some generic “be helpful”?
3) If your answer is generic, how committed are you to finding the specifics of how you can make a huge difference?
4) Let’s say you are (or get) clear on how you are going to help them: What will be your fees for rendering the specific help you will offer? (Unless you are presently independently wealthy, you will need to charge.)
5) After coming up with the fee you will charge, how many hours will you have to work delivering the specific help you will offer in order to live the lifestyle you require?
6) Finally and this is the vitally important question: What’s the most you’ve ever spent (in a lump sum, or over a single year) on your own personal/professional development?
Be honest with yourself in answering each of these questions, and I guarantee you will get clear on whether or not you will succeed in making a real difference.
Look, I know that somewhere within you, you feel you have a message that needs to be shared, and I’d like to CONSULTANT you in bringing that message to the world.
However, what I offer isn’t for those who want to play safe, small or who are thinking about an exit strategy before the start.
Therefore; If what I offer isn’t for you, I respect that, it’s completely okay. I know for sure that there are others who are totally committed that this is a better fit for… and so I wish you well.”
The bottom line is you have to decide you are worth it!
P.S. “Pat” is now a highly-paid international speaker.
I trust that you found this article valuable. If so feel free to send this to your friends. I eagerly anticipate your feedback and comments. Please share, like and comment below.
To hear from TEDx Speaker Andrew Grill’s words about my work please watch this video:
My Authentic Leadership Matrix is free this link! Why? Because one of the questions I’m most often asked is; What authentic leadership is and how do we define it? As a result, with years of experience and extensive requests, I created Authentic Leadership Matrix. It’s designed to give you a clear process of how to perform in each of the five main areas that are required for you to become a world class authentic leader. Start your yes and no evaluation to discover your leadership traits here: http://matrix.fullmontyleadership.com
Want to retain your top talent? Then my “Fiercely Loyal” book is for you! Plus get your free: “How to instantly bond any team” infographic.