One of the great challenges you face as a Leader is setting your people up to succeed, especially when you know that all too often the people in your team are failing.
How many times have you heard someone you know say: (insert whinny voice here) “I’d like to… but”, “I want to”, “I’m Gunna”, “I’ll try”? These are all language patterns that set you put you up for failure.
If you want consistent success you must…
- First: Decide (root word dēcīsiō literally, a cutting off), meaning that there is no other option.
- Second: Find a Guide, a Coach or preferably a consultant (yes there is a difference) Someone who can not only guide you but more importantly someone who can and will hold your feet to the fire if you are going off track.
- Third: Set timelines and measure results. This way you can see if you are getting progress and what’s more if what you were getting results with is still giving you results you desire. (tweak rather than change tracks)
- Forth: Be consistent! One of the greatest failings of our society is the desire for instant gratification…So be consistent and be patient, there is no such thing as an overnight success.
- Fifth: Environment! Put yourself in an environment that supports you reaching your goals. Too often people fail because the people they surround themselves with don’t get “it” (whatever it is you are going for)
- Sixth: Embrace failure, understand that failure is nothing more than feedback as to how Not to do it.
- Seventh: Celebrate every little success along the way! We are societally trained to play our success’ down. However, you get more of whatever you reinforce. So reinforce every little success.
I trust that you found this article valuable if so feel free to send this to your friends. I eagerly anticipate your feedback and comments. Please “like,” “share”, and comment below!
Stay curious my friend, stay curious…
My Authentic Leadership Matrix is free this link! Why? Because one of the questions I’m most often asked is; What authentic leadership is and how do we define it? As a result, with years of experience and extensive requests, I created Authentic Leadership Matrix. It’s designed to give you a clear process of how to perform in each of the five main areas that are required for you to become a world class authentic leader. Start your yes and no evaluation to discover your leadership traits here: http://matrix.fullmontyleadership.com
Want to retain your top talent? Then my “Fiercely Loyal” book is for you! Plus get your free: “How to instantly bond any team” infographic.